From financial crises to the Great Pandemic, to climate change and rising inequality, how should risk be managed in an increasingly volatile world?
24 September 2021
08:45 ET | 13:45 GMT
In recent years, financial crises, climate change, technological transformation, political and social instability, rising inequality and most prominently the Great Pandemic of the early 2020s have dramatically highlighted the often-extreme risks and radical uncertainty that has become part of the operational environment of business and government. How can decision-makers approach risk in this new context? How is it evolving? And, how can our past experience guide us in confronting this grand challenge?
We were delighted to welcome Niall Ferguson, author of Doom: The Politics of Catastrophe, along with Carol Ann Northcott, Chief Risk Officer of the Bank of Canada, as our keynote guests.
The first 100 registrants will receive a copy of Doom, Professor Ferguson’s brilliant best-selling synthesis of our contemporary and long-run experience with risk and uncertainty.
We are indebted to our co-sponsors, the Bank of Montreal, one of Canada’s earliest and most resilient institutions, for its support.
- Professor Niall Ferguson, Milbank Family Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
- Carol Ann Northcott, Chief Risk Officer, Bank of Canada
- Patrick Cronin, Chief Risk Officer, BMO Financial Group (Conference Co-Chair)
- Dr. Laurence B. Mussio, Historian and Chair, Long Run Institute (Conference Co-Chair)
- Two panels of international, interdisciplinary experts on risk
- Caryl Athanasiu, Independent Board Director, Varo Bank / Varo Money
- James Bradshaw, Banking Reporter, The Globe and Mail
- Dr. Bruce Choy, Managing Director, Research, Global Risk Institute
- Dr. Warren Hatch, CEO, Good Judgment Inc
- Tim Hogarth, Chief Architect (Technology & Engineering), Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ)
- Dr. Cosimo Pacciani, former Chief Risk Officer, European Stability Mechanism
- David Walmsley, Editor-in-Chief, The Globe and Mail (Moderator)
- Niall Ferguson: Are We Doomed? Assessing Risk in the 21stCentury
- Panel: Risk and Uncertainty In the Long-Run and Contemporary Lens
- Carol Ann Northcott: Risk, Volatility and the Role of Central Banks
- Panel: The Technological Turn: AI and Human Judgement In the Management of Risk
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.