The Great Pandemic has brought the world to an historic crossroad. How do we align corporate purpose in response? What styles and structures do we need?
9 October 2020
08:45 ET | 13:45 GMT
Our long-run experience with the corporation runs deep: questions about the proper relationship between private and public, between shareholder and stakeholder, between management and control have been with us in different guises for a long time. Today, both government leaders and corporate executives find themselves at an historic crossroads, having to deal with serious challenges to economic growth, public debt, employment, and human wellbeing.
Our esteemed participants will discuss what form the corporation might take in this evolving context. Keynote guests Professor Colin Meyer of Oxford University will share his thoughts on corporate purpose, stakeholderism, and the Friedman doctrine; and Mona Malone of Bank of Montreal will focus on the “what and how” of design and implementation regarding corporate purpose at the bank. The day’s panels will address “The Corporation: Evolution” and “Current State/Purpose and Perspectives on The Changing Corporation.”
We are indebted to our co-sponsors, the Bank of Montreal, one of Canada’s earliest and most resilient institutions, for its support.
- Professor Colin P. Mayer, CBE, FBA, Peter Moores Professor of Management, Said Business School, Oxford University, England (Keynote Speaker)
- Mona Malone, Chief Human Resources Officer and Head, People & Culture BMO Financial Group (Keynote Speaker and Conference Co-Chair)
- Dr. Laurence B. Mussio, Historian and Chair, Long Run Institute (Conference Co-Chair)
- Two panels of international, interdisciplinary experts
- Dr. Michael Aldous, Senior Lecturer, Queen's Management School, Queen’s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Dan Barclay, Chief Executive Officer & Group Head, BMO Capital Markets
- Dr. Ioana Cozmuta, CEO & Co-Founder, G-Space Inc.
- Jacob Hipps, Vice President, Product Fulfillment, Etsy (formerly Walmart E-Commerce)
- Dr. Christopher Marquis, Samuel C. Johnson Professor in Sustainable Global Enterprise, Cornell University
- Professor John Turner, Queen’s Management School, Queen’s University, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Joanna Rotenberg, Group Head, BMO Wealth Management, BMO Financial Group
- Dr. Andrea Schneider-Braunberger, Geschäftsführerin, Gesellschaft für Unternehmensgeschichte e.V., Frankfurt, Germany
- Dr. Gerald Seijts, Ian O. Ihnatowycz Chair in Leadership, Ivey Business School, Western University, London, ON
- David Walmsley, Editor-in-Chief, The Globe and Mail (Moderator)
Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.